|Diameter:||29.50 mm (13 ligne)|
|Complications:||Date, Day, Month, Moon Phase, Quick Date Correction, Quick Day Correction, Quick Month Correction|
|Hands:||Central Date Pointer, Central Hour Hand, Central Minute Hand, Central Seconds Hand, Day Window at 11:30, Month Window at 12:30, Moon Phase Wheel at 6:00|
|Distinguishing Technical Characteristics|
Clockwise Balance Cock
The Valjoux Cal. 90 VZSCL is a hand-winding triple-date movement with moon phase. Closely related to the Valjoux 23/72 chronograph movements, it is also similar to the Valjoux Cal. 89 VZSC but adds a moon phase indicator.
Most Valjoux movements in the classic period were chronographs, and the Valjoux 23/72 movement family was dominated by movements measuring 13 ligne (29.50 mm) in diameter. But this family also includes a few unusual cousins:
- The compact 10.5 ligne (23.35 mm) calibres: 69 DX and 89 DX
- The non-chronograph calibres: 78 VZSC, 89 DX, and 90 VZSCL
Valjoux 90 Functions
Cal. 90 is a “triple calendar” movement, with day and month shown via disc through dial windows and the date indicated by a central hand. It also includes a moon phase display at 6:00 on the dial.
- Day of week wheel with window at 11:30, advanced using an inset pusher at 10:00 with a deeper press
- Month wheel with window at 12:30, advanced using an inset pusher at 10:00
- Central date hand, advanced using an inset pusher at 8:30
- Moon phase disc at 6:00, advanced using an inset pusher at 4:00
The movement is wound by hand with the crown in first position. The time can be adjusted by pulling the crown to second position.
Note that the month does not automatically “roll over” with the date. It must be manually set using the inset pusher.
Valjoux 23/72 Family Movements
The Valjoux Cal. 23/72 family was primarily made up of eight movements, with all others being variations on these. Many components are shared between most or all of these movements, with the main variations happening together over the long production of the series.
- Cal. 23 VZ – Basic movement with no hour counter
- Cal. 72 VZH – Basic movement with hour counter
- Cal. 72c VZHC – Cal. 72 with triple calendar
- Cal. 88 VZHCL – Cal. 72c with moon phase
- Cal. 78 VZSC – Non-chronograph triple calendar
- Cal. 90 VZSCL – Cal. 78 with moon phase
- Cal. 69 DX – Compact 10.5 ligne chronograph
- Cal. 89 DXC – Compact 10.5 ligne triple calendar
|Triple Date||78 VZSC||23C||72c VZHC|
|Flyback and Date||237|
|24 Hour Hand||724||729|
|Calendar and Moon Phase||89 DXC|