|Diameter:||29.50 mm (13 ligne)|
|© Panerai A modern watch with an old movement: Panerai PAM00163 with Cal. Valjoux 234||Complications:||2-Button, 9-Column Chronograph, Chronograph, Column Wheel Chronograph, Date|
|Hands:||30 Minute Chronograph Hand at 3:00, Central 60 Second Chronograph Hand, Central Hour Hand, Central Minute Hand, Date Window at 4:30, Small Seconds Hand at 9:00|
|Distinguishing Technical Characteristics|
|Production: 1974 – 1979|
The Valjoux 234 is a celebrated hand-winding chronograph movement produced from 1974. A higher-beat replacement for the venerable Valjoux 23, it operates at 21,600 A/h rather than 18,000 A/h and adds a date function. The Valjoux 234 was introduced in 1974 and produced only in the 1970s originally. Some sources suggest that Cal. 234 was introduced as early as 1970.
The Valjoux 234 and 730 are almost identical except that the latter adds a 12 hour counter at 6:00 on the dial. The Valjoux 234 is also very similar to the Valjoux 236, which lacks the date complication.
- Central hours and minute hands and chronograph seconds
- 30 minute counter at 3:00
- Running small seconds at 9:00
A cheaper “Green Setting” variant used green plastic bearings for the balance and thus had just 13 jewels.
The Valjoux 234 was used in historic watches from Enicar as well as the 2003 limited-edition Panerai Radiomir Chrono PAM00163.
Valjoux 23/72 Family Movements
The Valjoux Cal. 23/72 family was primarily made up of eight movements, with all others being variations on these. Many components are shared between most or all of these movements, with the main variations happening together over the long production of the series.
- Cal. 23 VZ – Basic movement with no hour counter
- Cal. 72 VZH – Basic movement with hour counter
- Cal. 72c VZHC – Cal. 72 with triple calendar
- Cal. 88 VZHCL – Cal. 72c with moon phase
- Cal. 78 VZSC – Non-chronograph triple calendar
- Cal. 90 VZSCL – Cal. 78 with moon phase
- Cal. 69 DX – Compact 10.5 ligne chronograph
- Cal. 89 DXC – Compact 10.5 ligne triple calendar
|Triple Date||78 VZSC||23C||72c VZHC|
|Flyback and Date||237|
|24 Hour Hand||724||729|
|Calendar and Moon Phase||89 DXC|