|Diameter:||29.50 mm (13 ligne)|
|Complications:||2-Button, 9-Column Chronograph, Chronograph, Column Wheel Chronograph|
|Hands:||30 Minute Chronograph Hand at 3:00, Central 60 Second Chronograph Hand, Central Hour Hand, Central Minute Hand, Small Seconds Hand at 9:00|
|Distinguishing Technical Characteristics|
Clockwise Balance Cock
|Production: 1916 – 1974|
The Valjoux Cal. 23 VZ is a celebrated hand-winding chronograph movement in the Valjoux 72 family produced from 1916 through 1974. It was replaced by the faster-beating Cal. 236. Implementing Willy Breitling’s dual-pusher design with a column wheel, it remains desirable to this day. The design of the chronograph works, visible at the back, are particularly appealing.
The “VZ” name stands for “Valjoux Zähler”, meaning simply “Valjoux Chronograph.” Contrary to the data found in some sources, official Valjoux documents confirm that the movement measured 13”’ (29.50 mm) in diameter.
Valjoux Cal. 23 Functions
Cal. 23 and Cal. 72 are almost identical except that the latter adds a 12 hour counter at 6:00 on the dial.
- Central hours and minute hands and chronograph seconds
- 30 or 45 minute counter at 3:00
- Running small seconds at 9:00
Valjoux Cal. 23 Applications
Valjoux produced 126,582 examples of Cal. 23 and Cal. 72C between 1916 and 1974.
The Valjoux 23 was used by many brands, notably including Breitling, Bulova, Certina, Doxa, Enicar, Favre-Leuba, Girard-Perregaux, Heuer, Nivada, Roamer, Tissot, Ulysse Nardin, Vulcain, Wittnauer, and Zodiac. Patek Philippe based their Cal. 13”’ 130 on Cal. 23.
Valjoux 23/72 Family Movements
The Valjoux Cal. 23/72 family was primarily made up of eight movements, with all others being variations on these. Many components are shared between most or all of these movements, with the main variations happening together over the long production of the series.
- Cal. 23 VZ – Basic movement with no hour counter
- Cal. 72 VZH – Basic movement with hour counter
- Cal. 72c VZHC – Cal. 72 with triple calendar
- Cal. 88 VZHCL – Cal. 72c with moon phase
- Cal. 78 VZSC – Non-chronograph triple calendar
- Cal. 90 VZSCL – Cal. 78 with moon phase
- Cal. 69 DX – Compact 10.5 ligne chronograph
- Cal. 89 DXC – Compact 10.5 ligne triple calendar
|Triple Date||78 VZSC||23C||72c VZHC|
|Flyback and Date||237|
|24 Hour Hand||724||729|
|Calendar and Moon Phase||89 DXC|