|Diameter:||23.35 mm (10.5 ligne)|
|Complications:||Date, Day, Month, Moon Phase, Quick Date Correction, Quick Day Correction, Quick Month Correction|
|Hands:||Central Date Pointer, Central Hour Hand, Central Minute Hand, Central Seconds Hand, Day Window at 9:00, Month Window at 3:00, Moon Phase Wheel at 6:00|
|Distinguishing Technical Characteristics|
Clockwise Balance Cock
The Valjoux Cal. 89 DXC was a compact triple-calendar hand-winding movement with moon phase. Dating to the 1940s, it was related to the Valjoux 23/72 family of chronograph movements but is most similar to the compact chronograph Cal. 69 DX.
Most Valjoux movements in the classic period were chronographs, and the Valjoux 23/72 movement family was dominated by movements measuring 13 ligne (29.50 mm) in diameter. But this family also includes a few unusual cousins:
- The compact 10.5 ligne (23.35 mm) calibres: 69 DX and 89 DX
- The non-chronograph calibres: 78 VZSC, 89 DX, and 90 VZSCL
Valjoux 89 Functions
Cal. 89 is a “triple calendar” movement, with day and month shown via disc through dial windows and the date indicated by a central hand. It also includes a moon phase display at 6:00 on the dial. Because it was so compact, the day and month windows are located on either side of the central pivot, at 9 and 3, rather than near the “top” of the dial at 12 as on other Valjoux triple calendar movements of the time.
- Day of week wheel with window inside 9:00, advanced using an inset pusher at 8:00 with a deeper press
- Month wheel with window inside 3:00, advanced using an inset pusher at 2:00
- Central date hand, advanced using an inset pusher at 2:00 with a deeper press
- Moon phase disc at 6:00, advanced using an inset pusher at 8:00
The moon phase advances between 16:30 and 17:00 rather than at midnight. The month does not advance automatically when the date rolls over but has to be manually advanced using the pusher.
Valjoux 23/72 Family Movements
The Valjoux Cal. 23/72 family was primarily made up of eight movements, with all others being variations on these. Many components are shared between most or all of these movements, with the main variations happening together over the long production of the series.
- Cal. 23 VZ – Basic movement with no hour counter
- Cal. 72 VZH – Basic movement with hour counter
- Cal. 72c VZHC – Cal. 72 with triple calendar
- Cal. 88 VZHCL – Cal. 72c with moon phase
- Cal. 78 VZSC – Non-chronograph triple calendar
- Cal. 90 VZSCL – Cal. 78 with moon phase
- Cal. 69 DX – Compact 10.5 ligne chronograph
- Cal. 89 DXC – Compact 10.5 ligne triple calendar
|Triple Date||78 VZSC||23C||72c VZHC|
|Flyback and Date||237|
|24 Hour Hand||724||729|
|Calendar and Moon Phase||89 DXC|